Tuesday, June 22, 2010

New Approach to Painting

We are learning a new approach to creating an acrylic painting.  The background is painted FIRST!  Yep, that's right!  And preferably with your reference photo UPSIDE-DOWN!

My painting of the Golden Gate Bridge from Seal Rock was my first attempt.  (Scroll down to see.)

Here is my second attempt at painting using this approach.  Steps 1 and 2 were done in class.  I continued Step 2 and added Step 3 this morning. 

STEP 1:  Painted background with canvas upside-down;painted; from my black and white sketch holding it upside-down even though I am showing it rightside-up in this photo:


Step 2: Turned canvas rightside-up and began painting the objects in the sketch:


STEP 3:  This morning I continued painting the objects for a while and then painted more background using my colored pencil sketch.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews